Everyone wants a piece of the (Android 5.0) Pie


With as many high end Samsung devices penetrating the market place and customers gobbling them up, propelling them to heights only dreamt of after the launch of the successful Apple offerings, one would expect a certain life expectancy in terms of the value added by software updates.  After all, when you pay 600 to 700 dollars for a device, you'd like for your carrier and hardware/software companies to keep them updated and running as silky smooth as possible, with user interface improvements that enhance their value as consistently as possible.

So how is Sammy (Samsung) doing in this respect?  Is your device slated to reach end of life or will it get the newest iteration of the Android platform, Android 5.0, a.k.a. Key Lime Pie?

Here's what our friends at SamMobile (http://www.sammobile.com/) are saying about which devices get the KeyLime goodness and which will fall behind, (unless you root your device and backload KeyLime through our recommended Android tweekers, Cyanogen Mod at http://www.cyanogenmod.org/ ):

  • GT-I9300 – Galaxy S III
  • GT-I9305 – Galaxy S III LTE
  • GT-I9500 – Galaxy S 4
  • GT-I9505 – Galaxy S 4 LTE
  • GT-N5100 – Galaxy Note 8.0
  • GT-N5105 – Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE
  • GT-N5110 – Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-Fi
  • GT-N7100 – Galaxy Note II
  • GT-N7105 – Galaxy Note II LTE
  • GT-N8000 – Galaxy Note 10.1
  • GT-N8005 – Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE
  • GT-N8010 – Galaxy Note 10.1 Wi-Fi

Devices that will reach end-of-life in terms of software upgrades with Android 4.2.2 being the latest version they will "officially" run:
  • GT-I9080 – Galaxy Grand
  • GT-I9082 – Galaxy Grand DUOS
  • GT-I8160 – Galaxy Ace 2
  • GT-I8190 – Galaxy S III mini
  • GT-I8350 – Galaxy Beam
  • GT-I8730 – Galaxy Express
  • GT-I9070 – Galaxy S Advance
  • GT-I9100 – Galaxy S II
  • GT-I9105 – Galaxy S II Plus
  • GT-I9260 – Galaxy Premier
  • GT-N7000 – Galaxy Note
  • GT-S6310 – Galaxy Young
  • GT-S6312 – Galaxy Young DUOS
  • GT-S6810 – Galaxy Fame
  • GT-S7710 – Galaxy X Cover 2

SamMobile notes that neither of the lists above are final or official.  Therefore, Samsung could grant your device upgradability to the sweet goodness of Android 5.0. With Samsung wanting to remain at the top in terms of sales and proliferation of their products, it would not surprise me if they add devices like the original Samsung Note to the list of upgraded devices.

For those of you that are not Samsung device owners, hang tight.  We'll be searching out information on other companies such as HTC, Motorola, Huawei, and LG, to name a few for specs in this regard.

Comments

  1. Am glad to know my note 2 will get some klp niceness

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if you don't get it thru them, then ROOTing is the alternative..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What i heard is that KLP will work on old phones too -- http://www.androidpit.com/key-lime-pie-release-to-put-an-end-to-android-fragmentation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts, questions and comments here

Popular Posts